Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The problem with children.....

I don't have any children, and I know this isn't true of all offspring, but V's children are a waste of space. All grown adults (true, with lives of their own), but with little care or regard for their mother.

I went to see her tonight, the first night since Saturday I haven't had to work. She had called me on Sunday to find out if I was going, but unfortunately I couldn't. Today she told me why she called me - she was so depressed, and felt there was no point in calling her kids.

She had her fall more than a week ago now. And since then, she's only had 2 visits, from 2 out of the 3 daughters. I've been more often, and I'm not related to her! And V also says that when they came, they just sat and stared at her, like they were waiting for her to die. They wouldn't make conversation, and when she asked them what she'd done wrong, they wouldn't answer her. The nurse on duty tonight said that when Saturday's lot left, they didn't even kiss her or say goodbye, they just picked up their stuff and wandered off, talking to each other.

I'm absolutely fuming, and if I had these people's phone numbers, I'd have been calling them to tell them what I think already. The poor woman is bed-bound, covered in bruises, and with little prospect of ever making it home to her own flat as she's too frail - and they can't even be bothered to drop in regularly and try and keep her spirits up!

I managed to get her to eat a banana, and the nurse said it's the first solid food she'd felt like eating in the last 5 days or so.

I want to kill someone. And it's not V for (as her sister-in-law says) being "too dependent". Jesus, she's 78, she's had 2 strokes, severe arthritis, a ruptured duodenal ulcer, and can't walk 50 yards even with her wheeled frame. How much frailer does she have to be before she is allowed to become dependent?

No comments: